Providing Treatment for Cat and Dog Allergies in Henderson, NV
Allergies and skin disorders aren’t just a people problem. They can also affect dogs, cats, and other species, though dogs tend to be the most common allergy sufferers. At Sunridge Animal Hospital, our veterinarians can perform workups and do other testing as needed to better understand your pet’s condition and determine whether it is due to an allergy, infection, or something else. Likewise, we can offer the appropriate treatment options to get their symptoms under control and provide lasting relief.
Common Symptoms of Cat and Dog Allergies
The tricky thing about allergies in pets is that they typically manifest as skin disorders, which cause serious itching (pruritus). A variety of things can cause an allergic reaction in your dog or cat, such as pollen, grass, mold, dust, dust mites, food proteins, and even certain fabrics.
This can result in:
- Continuous, sometimes frenzied scratching, licking, and chewing of the skin
- Areas of skin that appear red and inflamed
- Hair loss, often found under the front and rear legs, near the tail, and between the toes
- Scaly, flaky patches of skin
- Swollen ears
Additional symptoms may include:
- Discharge from the eyes and nose
- Ear infections